Sunday 26 October 2014

Always something new to learn.











The author Knut F. Thoresen gave a speech today at the library about his new book. ("Til Norge for å dø"). It is about the life as Serbian slaves in German camps around in Norway during World War 2. (More than 4000 of them, and many of them died here in Norway!)

I had an image of Norwegians who gave food and helped some of the prisoners escape to Sweden.
That is what we learned at school (a long time ago).
But here I found myself hearing about Norwegians who worked for the Germans, as prison guards!

I left (for work) before the whole thing was finished, with a question about what we actually have learned from history..... Watching the news on TV really makes me wonder.

6 comments:

William Kendall said...

There are often times you wonder if we've made any progress at all.

Michelle said...

I have to agree with William's comment. We still have so much to learn.

Revrunner said...

War always brings out the best and the worst in people.

Cloudia said...

Seems the Western nations are willing to be honest about historical challenges and mis-steps. If fascists took over our town, would we work for them? How many would have the courage to lose all and risk life? Heroes! of which Norway has/had many.


ALOHA from Honolulu
ComfortSpiral
=^..^= . <3




Alain said...

La France n'est pas plus honnête sur ce sujet que les autres pays.

Jack said...

If I expressed my opinions here, I would be here all night.